BELLY FAT BLUES
Getting rid of belly fat is not only important for your self-confidence but also your health. Excess abdominal fat, especially visceral fat that surrounds your organs and distends your stomach, is a predictor of serious health issues such as heart disease and Type 2 diabetes, insulin resistance, and certain cancers.
Trying to lose stubborn belly fat may seem like a never ending battle, but understanding why it is so challenging is the first step to getting on the right track.
If diet and exercise haven’t done much to reduce your belly fat, then hormones, age, and other genetic factors may be negating your best efforts.
Here is a list of some of the primary reasons people have trouble losing belly fat
- Getting older – the older you get, the more your body changes how it gains and loses weight. Men and women see a decline in the number of calories needed to for the body to function normally. Women may experience an increase in belly fat as hormone production slows done during and after menopause.
- Doing the wrong workout – Unfortunately, as we get older cardio workouts just won’t cut it. While cardio is great for heart health, it won’t do much for your waistline. Strength training is must for increasing muscle mass, which will ultimately burn more calories resulting in fat loss.
- Eating the wrong food (too many processed foods, wrong fats) – Bread, crackers, and chips, as well as refined sugars in sweetened drinks and desserts increase inflammation in our bodies. Belly fat is associated with inflammation, so eating too many processed foods will hinder your ability to lose belly fat. Natural foods like fruits, vegetables, and whole grains are full of antioxidants, which have anti-inflammatory properties and may therefore actually prevent belly fat. High saturated fat intake found in meat and dairy can increase visceral fat. Sticking to monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats found in things like olive oil, avocados, and salmon are much healthier choices.
- Stress – The more stress you have, the harder it may be to shed unwanted belly fat. During times of stress it is common to reach for high-fat foods and higher levels of the stress hormone cortisol have been linked to an increase in visceral fat. Finding ways to reduce stress is key to controlling your cortisol levels and unhealthy food cravings. Try meditation, yoga, taking long walks, reading a good book. Or, maybe you need to prioritize better and be more organized so your workload doesn’t pile up.
- Not enough sleep – Studies show approx. 30% of Americans get less than 6 hours of sleep each night, which can be a major contributor to weight gain. The National Institutes of Health recommend no less than 7 hours of sleep per night.
- You have a health issue – Certain medical issues may make it difficult to lose weight. If you think something might be wrong, it’s always advisable to have a fully physical to rule out any issues.
- Not motivated – This is an obvious one, but losing stubborn belly fat requires a commitment to following a proper diet and exercise regimen.
At BioSpa Newport Beach, we find that some individuals just need a jump start to motivate themselves to make the necessary changes to live a healthier, well balanced life. The battle of the belly bulge can seem overwhelming and never-ending, so it’s not uncommon to just give up. That’s where our non-invasive body contouring treatments come in. After a series of fat reduction treatments with UltraShape Power or Vanquish our patients see a decrease in belly fat and improved body contour, which gets them excited and motivated to continue down the path of self-improvement. All too often our patients tell us having a fat reduction treatment was the best thing they ever did for themselves and it led to improving other areas of their lives.
If you are experiencing belly fat blues and need a jump start to reaching your body goals, give us a call to schedule a complimentary consultation to find out if one of our non-invasive fat elimination and body contouring treatments is right for you.
Call us today to learn more! (949) 347-5656