NEWPORT BEACH LASER RESURFACING
Who is a Candidate?
Individuals with deep wrinkles, sun damage, scars, skin lesions or disorders may be treated with the Erbium Yag laser. Certain ethnicities and skin types may not be good candidates for this type of laser due to the potential for pigmentation issues or scarring.
The following areas can be treated:
How Does the Erbium Laser Work?
The Erbium laser is a slightly less invasive option than CO2 lasers and carries less recovery time, usually one week compared to two weeks. Erbium is an ablative (skin removal) treatment, which can treat the skin at different depths.
The Erbium Yag laser emits an intense beam of light that immediately heats up the skin and underlying tissues. The laser precisely ablates the epidermis (the outermost layer of the skin) to expose the underlying skin which is smoother and younger looking. It also activates collagen production to promote further skin tightening months after the treatment. The precision of the Erbium laser ensures the surrounding tissue is protected.
What to Expect Prior to an Erbium Laser Treatment
The Erbium Yag laser emits an intense beam of light that heats up skin and tissues instantaneously. The laser precisely ablates the epidermis (the outermost layer of the skin) to reveal the underlying skin that is smoother and younger looking.The Erbium Yag is so precise that surrounding tissue is hardly affected. The Erbium laser also activates collagen to promote further tightening of the skin over the months following treatment.
What to expect prior to Erbium laser resurfacing
The BioSpa requires a comprehensive skin consultation prior to having an Erbium laser treatment. You will meet with our registered nurse or one of our plastic surgeons to determine if you are a candidate. The precise treatment plan, including depth of treatment, will be determined, taking into consideration age, skin type, severity of skin disorder, quality of skin, and desired goals. The amount of healing time you have available will also be taken into consideration. More aggressive treatments require longer healing, but will have more dramatic changes with just one treatment. If you are concerned with the recovery time, you may prefer a series of lighter peels or laser treatments over a period of weeks or months.
Prior to having an Erbium Yag treatment, you will receive a medical grade facial and be started on the appropriate products. This usually begins 2-6 weeks before your scheduled treatment. If using Tretinoin (Retin-a), you will be required to stop use two weeks in advance.
Finally, you will receive any necessary prescriptions that need to be filled prior to your Erbium laser resurfacing appointment, along with detailed pre/post treatment instructions.
What to Expect During an Erbium Treatment
Most Erbium laser skin resurfacing treatments are performed at the BioSpa using local and topical anesthetics with a mild sedative if needed. We also offer twilight, IV sedation, or general anesthesia. This will be determined during your initial consultation.
After the anesthesia has been applied, your face will be cleansed, followed by the placement of eye shields over your eyes. The area being treated will be numb, but you may feel a slight sensation on the skin as the laser beam passes over the area being treated. Total treatment time will vary depending on the type of anesthesia and number of areas. When the Erbium procedure is completed, moisturizer will be applied and a bandage may or may not be placed on the site.
What to Expect After an Erbium Treatment
You will be given thorough aftercare instructions, and antiviral medication and antibiotics will be prescribed. If you have a bandage around the area, it will be removed at your first post-treatment appointment.
- Treated areas will likely swell. Areas such as the eyes or jowls tend to have the most significant swelling. Peak is seen 48-72 hours post procedure, then slowly diminishes. Compresses can be used.
- Keeping the treated area elevated and sleeping on your back is helpful.
- Discomfort is generally mild and is most prevalent in the first 24-48 hours following treatment. Cool compresses and Ibuprofen/Tylenol should provide relief. Maintaining hydration and applying a recovery balm will also help to reduce discomfort.
- If itching occurs, take Benadryl.
- Some oozing may be present for the first few days.
- You will be red (sunburn red) for approximately 5-10 days. Redness will gradually fade to pink and then back to normal. The neck and chest may take a little longer to heal than the face.
- Once redness begins to fade, the treated area will appear dry and flaky. It may feel rough like sand paper. This feeling may last up to 10 days following treatment. Do not peel off dry skin or use an exfoliator. It is important to allow the skin to heal at its own pace. Do NOT peel or pick at your skin as this can cause scarring. You may notice “track marks”, “grid marks”, “dots”, or “streaks” on the skin. Some areas may be redder than others. You may have a bronzing appearance during the healing process. These areas will heal and slough over time.
- 1-2 weeks post treatment you may experience an acne breakout. This can be a normal side effect of resurfacing and is temporary, generally lasting a week or two.
New collagen formation begins to take place after 30 days. Your best results will be seen 5-9 months after any given treatment. After the area has completely healed, you will have smoother, tighter, healthier looking skin. You will see improvement of lines on the face and around the mouth. Age spots, sun spots, freckles, and large pores will also be improved, along with diminished visibility of scars.
Although each treatment session will yield results, changes are cumulative. We may recommend 1 to 3 sessions depending on the severity of the skin issue. We recommend repeat sessions be scheduled approximately 12 months apart.
Not everyone is a candidate for Erbium laser. This could be due to the patient not wanting a lengthy recovery or because skin type is not ideal for this type of treatment. Other options for skin improvement are medical grade chemical peels such as the Obagi blue peel , BBL or IPL laser, and micro-needling. In some cases, we may advise that no treatment be considered as an option. And, of course, a proper skin-care regimen is always recommended for improving skin quality.
One of our BioSpa staff can discuss our medical grade skin-care products with you, along with the importance of using a high quality sunscreen and Retin-A.
Interested in more youthful skin? Find out if Erbium Yag is right for you: (949) 347-5656.